Update 1/1/15 – SGU has finally switched providers and now offers Office 365 Microsoft Exchange email services. Below are directions on how to setup your email account on iOS (Apple devices including the Apple iPhone and iPad) and Android devices (Samsung, Motorola, etc.)
To set up your email on an Apple iOS device:
- Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.
- Tap Microsoft Exchange.
- You don’t need to enter anything in the Domain box. Enter the information requested in the Email, Username, and Password boxes.
- You need to enter your full e-mail address in the Email and Username boxes (for example, email@example.com).
- Tap Next on the upper-right corner of the screen. Your iPhone will try to find the settings it needs to set up your account. Go to step 7 if your iPhone finds your settings.
- If your iPhone can’t find your settings, you’ll need to manually look up your Exchange ActiveSync server name. For instructions for how to determine your Exchange ActiveSync server name, see the Finding My Server Name section below.
- In the Server box, enter your server name, and then tap Next.
- Choose the type of information you want to synchronize between your account and your device, and then touch Save. By default, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar information are synchronized.
To set up your email on an Android device:
- From the Applications menu, select Email. This application may be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full e-mail address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, and your password, and then select Next.
- Select Exchange account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter the following account information and select Next.
- Domain\Username Type your full e-mail address in this box. If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box empty and type your full e-mail address in the Username box.
- Note: On some versions of Android, you need to use the domain\username format. For example, if your e-mail address is email@example.com, type contoso.com\firstname.lastname@example.org. Your username is your full e-mail address.
- Password Use the password that you use to access your account.
- Exchange Server Use the address of your Exchange server. To find this address, see “Finding the Server Name” later in this topic.
- As soon as your phone verifies the server settings, the Account Options screen displays. The options available depend on the version of Android on your device. The options may include the following:
- Email checking frequency The default value is Automatic (push). When you select this option, e-mail messages will be sent to your phone as they arrive. We recommend only selecting this option if you have an unlimited data plan.
- Amount to synchronize This is the amount of mail you want to keep on your mobile phone. You can choose from several length options, including One day, Three days, and One week.
- Notify me when email arrives If you select this option, your mobile phone will notify you when you receive a new e-mail message.
- Sync contacts from this account If you select this option, your contacts will be synchronized between your phone and your account.
- Select Next and then type a name for this account and the name you want displayed when you send e-mail to others. Select Done to complete the e-mail setup and start using your account.